Saturday, July 17, 2010

The First Loaf of Bread

We're halfway through July and quickly approaching the festival of Lammas.  This isn't a festival I normally celebrate and I certainly know that it isn't specific to Persephone.  However, in doing research for my on-going feature for The Juggler about Beer styles of for the 8 major holidays I have been reacquainting myself with the symbols of Lammas.  An alternate name for the festival is Loafmas - the wheat harvest.  Persephone's mother, Demeter, is the goddess of the harvest and it was traditional to offer the first loaf of bread of the season to her as an offering.  In an age when our bread typically comes from the bread isle of the grocery store, I thought it might be a great Lammas devotional exercise to try baking.  I found this great website that talks you through the process of baking your own bread. 

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly, Lammas falls about the same time as Selu, the Green Corn festival named after the Cherokee Corn Mother.

    ReplyDelete