Sunday, January 9, 2011

Praise to Mother Demeter, Goddess of Grains

I am starting a new project this year.  I am excited about it so I wanted to share it here.  The other day I launched a new blog.  This year, 2011, I will be learning the art of brewing beer.  I have long enjoyed beer, and now I feel the next step in my life is to make it myself.  While the blog itself isn't devotional in nature, the act of brewing beer for me is a spiritual practice.  So I dedicate this project to Demeter, the mother of Persephone and Dionysos, her brother and sometimes son.   

Praise Demeter, giver of the barley which brings us the malt
Praise Dionysos, lord of the vine and the green hops flower
May I honor you by chemistry and design
May I offer you the taste of the beer I make.

Demeter, may you bless the porters,
the wheats, the browns and the ambers

Dionysos may you bless the pale ales,
the bitters, the stouts, and the pilsners.

No comments:

Post a Comment