Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Musings on Zeus

I had occasion this weekend to be thoughtful about Zeus.  While working on our tiny house we were slaves to the whims of the weather and our final day was rained out completely.  I know Zeus sometimes gets the short end of the stick when it comes to the story of his daughter.  He essentially sold her off into a marriage with his brother, her uncle, without consulting her mother. But the truth remains, Persephone is as much Zeus's daughter as she is Demeter's.  So this is post is about three songs for Zeus.

The first song I think of when I think of Zeus is by my all time favorite band, Counting Crows.  I know it is actually based on a story called Henderson the Rain King, but the lyrics remind me of Zeus.  He is the Rain King.  And he belongs in the service of a Queen.


The second song is "Have You Ever Seen The Rain".  While I love the original Credence Clearwater Revival version, I really love this old-school country version by Willie Nelson and Paula Nelson. I'm not normally a fan of country music, but I love classic folky country.



And, for my cheesy 90s alternative loving heart: Lightening Crashes by Live.  Though, this song is probably speaks to me more of Zeus's wife, Hera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment