Thursday, June 17, 2010

Definitions

It has been super encouraging to see all the very talented blogging going on in the pagan community.  I am biased, of course, since I started writing for the Juggler a couple months ago.  I have also been keeping track of The Wild Hunt, the mastermind behind the Pagan Newswire Collective, as well as my sister sites Pagans+Politics and Warriors&Kin.  Over at the Patheos website, the pagan portal is active with the Pantheon blog.  I've also been watching some personal blogs, like the Girls Underground blog that I have mentioned before as well as Kate's other site, The Forest Door.  And there are countless others that I have not listed. 

Because a lot of these featured introductory posts to start the blogging process, I found it interesting to read the many descriptions of individual practices.  It led me to think about definitions and what I am and what I am not. 

It comes down to something very simple.  I am neither Wiccan nor am I a reconstructionist.  I am simply a devotee of the Goddess Persephone. 

I associate with Pagans because that appears to be the closest community of people who would understand devotion to a Goddess, but I am not even sure that the term "Pagan" would define what I do. 

Persephone is present.  This I know beyond the shadow of a doubt.  And I honor her presence in my every day life.  She doesn't care which motions I use, what words I use or when I do it.  Because her mythology is so tied into some of the other Gods, I also honor them after a fashion. 

In the end, does it really matter how I define myself and my practice to those around me? If what I do is to honor Persephone, then it should only be her that cares. I don't know that there is a single word that would sum up my spiritual path anyway.  Maybe, just as I have said in this very blog, it is simply Persephone's Path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment