Thursday, September 23, 2010

One Year

Today marks the one year anniversary of this blog.  When I started it, I don't think I was consciously aware that I had begun so close to the Autumn Equinox.  It make sense though, to begin a journey with Persephone at the beginning of Persephone's descent.  I am sure I was subconsciously aware of it, however, because it is impossible to be dedicated to Persephone without feeling the overwhelming draw of seasonal changes. 

It is officially Fall in Atlanta, and temperatures still hover in the 90s.  What I wouldn't give for a good Midwestern fall with crisp autumn air and the symphony of colors in the trees.  We get that eventually, but not until late October. I remind myself that I am taking a trip to Minneapolis this weekend and will get a lovely dose of Autumn there before returning to Atlanta to get a second turn in another month.  But the night of the equinox was breathtaking.  The sky was clear and the full harvest moon magnificent and even though the lights from the city were glaring you could still see Jupiter, Persephone's own father, as the second brightest thing in the universe.  Maybe he was saying goodbye to his daughter as she left him for the dark half of the year. 

Last year, I spent a lot of time exploring the seasonal themes of Persephone's story.  I haven't really thought much about how I want to continue this blog.  Is there anything anyone would like to see me explore? 

I will, however, share again the poem that I posted on the day I created this page.  Honestly, it was a place marker that day.  I had created the account and picked out the page design (which I have since changed) and get things all set up the way I liked it. I was afraid, though, if I left it that day without any content I might not get back to it, so I posted this poem. I wrote it a while back while up in Asheville to honor the glade where we placed her statue and created a space to commune with the Goddess.

"Persephone's Glade"

A soft spring maid picking daffodils
Autumn wife and most dread Queen
A field of white sweet asphodel
A soft spring maid picking daffodils
Olympos high above the rolling hills
Halls of Hades in the world beneath
A soft spring maid picking daffodils
Autumn wife and most dread Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment