Saturday, March 27, 2010

Phantom Power by Tragically Hip

As you have probably noticed, I am a music fan and post about music often.  For me, most music has a seasonal essence to me.  I guess it is just the way that I categorize the world, everything falls neatly into one season or another.  An album that has very strong Springtime connections for me is Phantom Power by The Tragically Hip.  I guess it is beacuse of the opening line to the opening song:

Spring starts when a heartbeat's poundin'

When the birds can be heard above the reckoning carts doing some final accounting
There are so many great songs on the CD, and I highly recommend it.  But for some reason, the song that really sticks out and makes me feel like spring is Bobcaygeon

I guess maybe I associate this song with Springtime and specifically with the story of Persephone's return from her Underworld home.  It has the pull of heartbreak with the optimism of spring.

I left your house this morning about a quarter after nine

coulda been the Willie Nelson coulda been the wine
when I left your house this morning
it was a little after nine
it was in Bobcaygeon I saw the constellations
reveal themselves one star at a time

Drove back to town this morning with working on my mind
I thought of maybe quitting
thought of leaving it behind
went back to bed this morning
and as I'm pulling down the blind
the sky was dull and hypothetical
and falling one cloud at a time

That night in Toronto with its checkerboard floors
riding on horseback and keeping order restored
til the men they couldn't hang
stepped to the mic and sang
and their voices rang with that Aryan twang
I got to your house this morning just a little after nine

in the middle of that riot
couldn't get you off my mind
so I'm at your house this morning
just a little after nine
cause it was in Bobcaygeon where I saw the constellations
reveal themselves one star at a time

No comments:

Post a Comment