Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Who Run Hadestown?

I was so excited today when this new album was brought to my attention.  Anais Mitchell, a folk artist who I am ashamed to say I have never heard of, has composed a folk opera about the myth of Orpheus and Euridyce.  It tells the story set in a post-apocalyptic America.  The recording features other folk artists that I am not familiar with as well as folk Icon Ani DiFranco as Persephone. 

I can't tell you whether or not it is good - I have only listened to the samples on Amazon, but I am very excited to listen to the whole album on Tuesday, March 9th when it is released.  Below, however, is a video of a recent performance of one of the songs, "How Long?"sung by Mitchell herself.  I am most impressed. 



What a fantastic story to be told just before Persephone's own return from the Underworld. 

No comments:

Post a Comment