Saturday, February 19, 2011

Seasonal Play List

I have said over and over again, the thing that pulls me toward Persephone is the sense of wonder I get with the turning of the seasons.  Today, in Atlanta, it will be 70 degrees in February. That isn't normal, but it is wonderful and I plan to be outside all day long.  I understand the science of the seasons, but that doesn't stop me from experiencing the beauty of them as they cycle through each year without fail.

I decided to put together a Seasonal Play List.  These are 4 songs for each season that aren't specifically about honoring Persephone but do honor the feelings that each season brings to me which in turn honors Persephone.

Since spring is just around the corner, I want to start there.

Spring

Southland in the Springtime by Indigo Girls
I've written about this before, so you can just click the link if you want to read why this song is so important to me.  When God made me born a Yankee, she was teasing.

Poets by The Tragically Hip
I wrote about the album that this song was on, but not about this song specifically.  There is something about it that just makes me feel alive with springtime energy. 

Beautiful Day by U2
This is not my favorite U2 song, but I can't deny it's spring flavor.
The heart is a bloom, shoots up through stony ground
But there's no room, no space to rent in this town
You're out of luck and the reason that you had to care
The traffic is stuck and you're not movin' anywhere
You thought you’d found a friend to take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand in return for grace

It's a beautiful day,
The sky falls and you feel like
It's a beautiful day,
Don’t let it get away
Celtic Spring by Van Morrison
I never thought I liked Van Morrison.  And I still don't like "Brown Eyed Girl".  But then I heard the song "Into the Mystic" and understood his genius.  His songs are often seasonal and spiritual.  Celtic Spring is no exception.
Wanna dance by you by the light of the moon
I wanna see you there on a bright afternoon
I wanna sing my song, won't you play me the tune
In the regions again

In the Celtic Spring
In the Celtic Spring
Won't you come and go
 Summer

June Hymn by The Decemberists
This is a band new song on the brand new album The King is Dead. I love it.  I love every note and every lyric.  It makes me want to lay back and feel the summer sweep over me. 


Summer's Cauldron by XTC
This band is one of my favorites.  I think they are underrated.  
Trees are dancing drunk with nectar, grass is waving underwater
Please don't pull me out, this is how I would want to go
Insect bomber Buddhist droning, copper chord of August's organ
Please don't heed my shout, I'm relaxing the undertow
Island in the Sun by Wheezer
You may notice a trend when it comes to my summer song choices. I like that lazy feeling of summer.  Sit back, relax, and just let the summer happen. Plus, the video has a kitten. You can never go wrong with a kitten.

Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers
But I can't help but think about how summer comes because of the ultimate sacrifice.  Persephone returns so we can enjoy the sunshine, but she leaves behind her husband and King.  This song is for Hades.

Autumn

Meet Me On The Equinox by Death Cab for Cutie
The only negative thing I can say about this song is that it comes from a movie about sparkly vampires.  
Meet me on the Equinox
Meet me half way
When the sun is perched at its highest peek
In the middle of the day

Let me give my love to you
Let me take your hand
As we walk in the dimming light
Or darling understand
Autumn Almanac by The Kinks
Friday evenings, people get together,
Hiding from the weather.
Tea and toasted, buttered currant buns
Can't compensate for lack of sun,
Because the summer's all gone. 
Moondance by Van Morrison
A little song for Samhain.
And all the leaves on the trees are fallin'
To the sound of the breezes that blow
An' I'm trying to please to the callin'
Of your heart strings that play soft and low

And all the nights magic seems to whisper and hush
And all the soft moonlight seems to shine in your blush
Can I just have one more moondance with you, my love?
Can I just make some more romance with you, my love?
September Morn by Neil Diamond
Is it a "Guilty Pleasure" when you post about it on the Internet?  Okay, I have a soft spot in m heart for Neil Diamond.  Once I get past the creepy old man feeling.  But this song is a lovely tribute to Autumn love, like when Hades and Persephone are reunited at the equinox. 

Winter

Hazy Shade of Winter by Simon and Garfunkel
I have to be a purist and say that the only version anyone should concern themselves with is the original, not the Bangles version from the 80s.  I think this song really brings that sense of seasonal transition.  The leaves are brown and fall has just passed us, the snow is just beginning to fall.  I don't know that it gets much better than Simon and Garfunkel.

Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
This song isn't so much about winter as it is the feeling that winter gives me.  Hades and Persephone know that through this dark season they will once again be separated.  Even Hades makes a sacrifice for the good of all people. 

Winter by Tori Amos
This is probably my favorite song of all time.
When you gonna make up your mind?
When you gonna love you as much as I do?
When you gonna make up your mind?
Cause things are gonna change so fast
All the white horses are still in bed
I tell you that I always want you near
You say that things change, my dear
Winter Song by Crash Test Dummies
I know a lot of people hate Crash Test Dummies. I am not one of those people. I especially love their first album, The Ghosts that Haunt Me which is where this song comes from.  I like the nostalgic feeling I get when I listen to this song. 

And there you have it, my seasonal playlist.  Some songs for Persephone, some songs about Persephone and some songs that just make me feel the sense of wonder about each season as the wheel of the year keeps turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment