Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Girls Underground

I mention a lot of different Persephone related things here.  Music, movies, books, poetry, statues - even television shows.  I have yet to bring your attention to a specific website (as far as I recall), until now.

I have known Kate for years on-line and we have worked together on various projects within the Hellenic community.   I highly recommend her blog Girls Underground and the website that goes with it. 

I love the intensity with which she writes about the Girls Underground archetype/mythology. I completely appreciate all the work she has done to collect these stories (of all types) in one easy-to-read place.  And, of course, Persephone herself fits very comfortably into this category.  Kate describes her thusly

Persephone, or Kore ("maiden"), is the Greek goddess of renewal, and the Queen of the Underworld. While picking flowers with her friends as a young woman, she was kidnapped by Hades and brought to the Underworld. Her mother Demeter petitioned the other gods to intervene and let her go. But because Persephone ate the pomegranate seeds she was offered, she must stay as Hades' queen for part of the year. When she returns to the earth above each year, fertility returns with her.



No comments:

Post a Comment