Friday, April 2, 2010

Persephone's Spring Feast

As I did at Christmastime, I thought this holiday would be a fine time to consult the Hellenic Cookbook for some yummarific recipes for your spring festivals.  As you might imagine, the book offers a varity for all of the traditional orthodox observances. 

They offer the Resurrection Feast, which is described as a "joyous gathering at the table immdiately following the midnight easter mass."  Christian or not, spring is the time for any sort of resurrection.  If you look at it in nature the trees are budding and the flowers are blooming.  If you look at it from my spiritual perspective, the deity of choice is Persephone returning from the underworld granting her mother, Demeter, permission to revive the world.   The Resurrection feast indicates that it begins with Greek Easter Soup and "may be followed by":

Varity Lamb Platter
(Chops, Liver, Lung or Kidney)
Colored Easter Eggs

As a continuation of the Easter/Spring Menu, the Hellenic Cookbook suggests the following items for Easter Sunday Dinner. 

Fruit Cup
Greek Easter Soup
Roast Spring Lamb with Stuffing
Wole Roasted Potatoes
Peas
Greek Salad Supreme
Yogurt
Red Eggs
Sweet Breads
Greek Easter Cookies

Everything sounds so wonderful, it is nearly impossible for me to decide which recipe from the book that I wanted to include.  I was just about to post the recipe for Greek Easter Soup, but it involves bits of offal that I am not sure I could bring myself to cook with.  Instead, I chose a recipe that I have made for Easter Dinner before.  I love this recipe for the way it is written.  You can hear your Yia Yia giving you instructions as you cook.  Trust me, if you try this it will be divine.  So, here is the recipe as it appears in the book.

Lamb with Macaroni or Spaghetti (Arni Guvetsi)

2 lbs. Lamb cut in peices
1 lb Macaroni or Spaghetti
1/2 cup butter
2 onions minced
Salt, pepper to taste
3 tablespoons tomato pate diluted in a cup of water

Brown meat in butter, together with minced onions.  Add diluted tomato paste, salt, pepper and enough water to cover meat.  Cook for one hour or until meat is partly done.  Add macaroni or spaghetti and continue cooking until macaroni is done.  If the liquid is absorbed before the macaroni is cooked, add a little hot water.  When served, grated cheese may be sprinkled on top if desired. 

Happy Springtime Resurrection and Renwal, however you celebrate it! 

(photo by me featuring my Nana's china and crystal set for Easter dinner)

No comments:

Post a Comment